Give as many Bible verses (where appropriate), comments, and explanations as you can to support your answers.
Click here to go to “Heresy and apostasy”
1. Prior to the return of the Lord, the churches, except for a _____________, will go into apostasy. “Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a _________ ______ first, and that _____ ___ ____ be revealed, the son of ___________: who opposeth and ___________ himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as _____ sitteth in the temple of ______, shewing himself that he is _____ (2 Th. 2.3-4).
2. “Apostasy, ‘falling away,’ is the act of professed Christians who deliberately reject revealed truth as to what two things? (1 John 4.1-3 [‘Beloved, believe not every _________, but try the _________ whether they are of _____: because many _______ prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the _________ of _____: Every spirit that __________ that _______ ________ is come in the flesh is of _____: And every spirit that _____________ not that _______ ________ is come in the flesh is not of _____: and this is that spirit of __________, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.’]; Phil. 3.18 [‘For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the __________ of the cross of Christ:”]; 2 Pet. 2.1 [“But there were false __________ also among the people, even as there shall be false __________ among you, who privily shall bring in damnable __________, even denying the _______ that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.’]). Apostasy differs therefore from error concerning truth, which may be the result of ___________ (Acts 19.1-6 [‘And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the ______ _________ since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any ______ _______. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto ______’s baptism. Then said Paul, ______ verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on ________ ________. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the ______ ________. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the ______ ________ came on them; and they spake with tongues, and _____________.’]), or heresy, which may be due to the snare of _________ (2 Tim. 2.25, 26 [‘In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them _____________ to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the ________, who are taken captive by him at his will.’]), both of which may consist with true _________. The apostate is perfectly described in 2 Tim. 4.3, 4 [‘For the time will come when they will not endure sound ___________; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves ___________, having itching ears; And they shall turn away theirears from the truth, and shall be turned into fables.’]. Apostates depart from the faith, but not from the outward profession of _______________ (2 Tim. 3.5 [‘Having a form of __________, but denying the power thereof, from such turn away.’]). Apostate teachers are described in 2 Tim. 4.3 [“For the time will come when they will not endure sound __________; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves ___________, having itching ears.]; 2 Pet. 2.1-19 [quoted here in part: ‘But there were false __________ also among the people, even as there shall be false ___________ among you, who privily shall bring in damnable ____________, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift ______________. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of ________ shall be evil spoken of. And through _______________ shall they with feigned words make _______________ of you: … But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own _____________; … Which have forsaken the _______ way, and are gone astray, following the way of ___________ the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of __________________; ….These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. For when they speak great swelling words of ___________, they allure through the ________ of the flesh, through much __________, those that were clean escaped from them who live in _______. While they promise them __________, they themselves are the servants of ______________: for of whom a man is ____________, of the same is he brought in _________.’]; Jude 4, 8, 11-13, 16 [‘For there are certain men crept in ___________, who were before of old ordained to this _______________, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into __________________, and denying the only Lord God, and our ________ __________ __________…. Likewise also thesefilthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of __________…. Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of ________, and ran greedily after the error of _____________ for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of __________. These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without ________, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit ___________, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; Raging waves of the _____, foaming out their own shame; wandering _______, to whom is reserved the blackness of ___________ for ever. These are _____________, complainers, walking after their own _______; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men’s persons in ____________ because of advantage.’]. Apostasy in the church, as in Israel (Isa. 1.5, 6; 5.5-7), is irremediable, and awaits ___________________ (2 Thes. 2.10-12 [‘And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that __________; because they received not the love of the _______, that they might be ________. And for this cause God shall send them strong __________, that they should believe a _____: That they all might be damned who believed not the ________, but had pleasure in ________________’]; 2 Pet. 2.17, 21 [‘These are wells without ________, clouds that are carried with a __________; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever…. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of _______________, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.’]; Jude 11-15; Rev. 3.14-16)”
3. What is the only remedy for apostasy?
4. “Nevertheless, when the Son of man cometh, shall he find _________ on the earth” (Lu. 18.8b)? What is this reference to?
“Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the ________, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils” (1 Ti. 4.1).
5. When did the apostasy of the church set in?
“I marvel that ye are so soon _______________ from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another ______________: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you; and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be _____________” (Ga. 1.6-8).
“For there are certain men crept in __________, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ___________ men, turning the grace of our God into __________________, and denying the only _______ _______, and our Lord Jesus Christ” (Jude 4).
6. What is lasciviousness?
7. Gentile world apostasy comes in _________ stages.
“Because that, when they knew _______, they glorified ______ not as _______, neither were ________; but became vain in their _____________, and their ___________ heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be ________, they became _______. And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to ______________ ______, and to _______, and ______________ _________, and _________ _______” (Ro. 1.21-23).
8. As a result of this worldwide Gentile apostasy, mankind sinks to the depths of ___________:
“Wherefore God also gave them up to _______________ through the lusts of their own hearts, to ____________ their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the ________ of God into a ______ and worshipped and served the __________ more than the _________, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile ___________: for even their women did change the _________ use into that which is against ________: And likewise also the men, leaving the _________ use of the ________, burned in their ______ one toward another; _____ with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their ____________, God gave them over to a __________ mind, to do those things which are not _____________; Being filled with all _________________, ______________, ______________, ________________, maliciousness; full of _______, ______, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, _________ of God, despiteful, ________, boasters, inventors of _______ things, disobedient to parents. Without ______________, covenantbreakers, without natural _____________, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of ________, not only do the same, but have ____________ in them that do them” (Ro. 1.24-32).
9. Who usually introduces the apostasy?
10. Our Lord warned against __________ teachers:
- “Beware of _______ prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening _________” (Mt. 7.15).
- “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that _______ _____ ______ ___ my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in _____ ______ have cast out devils? and in _____ _______ done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I _______ ______ you: depart from me, ye that work ________” (Mt. 7.21-23).
- “And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man __________ you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am ________; and shall _________ many” (Mt. 24.4-5).
- “And many _______ prophets shall rise, and shall __________ many” (Mt. 24.11).
- “For _______ Christs and _______ prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the _______” (Mk. 13.22).
- “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called _____ ________ in the kingdom of heaven” (Mt. 5.19).
- “But in vain do they worship me, teaching for ___________ the commandments of men” (Mt. 15.9).
11. With heresy and apostasy, what do men ask?
12. For what should men ask?
13. With heresy and apostasy, what is the purpose for doing and for going to church?
14. Many believers today, many in allegedly independent Bible believing churches, are being deceived about many biblical ___________, including the _____________ of church, state, and separation of church and state. As a result what are they doing as to church organization?
15. Everything in the ultimate modern American church is for ________.
16. Peter, Paul, and Jude traced the origin of apostasy to _______ ___________, explained their methods of _____________, and warned the churches to beware of the _______________:
- “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the _________ ___________ hath made you ________________, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own _________. For I know this, that after my departing shall ____________ __________ enter in among you, not sparing he _________: Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking _____________ things, to draw away _____________ after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears” (Ac. 20.28-31).
- “But though we, or an __________ from heaven, preach any other _________ unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be ___________. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other _________ unto you than that ye have received, let him be _________” (Ga. 1.8-9).
- “O foolish ____________, who hath ____________ you, that ye should not obey the _________, before whose eyes ________ _________ hath been evidently set forth, ___________ among you” (Ga. 3.1)?
- “For there must be also _____________ among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you” (1 Co. 11.19).
- “For if he that cometh preacheth another ________, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another _________, which ye have not received, or another __________, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him” (2 Co. 11.4).
- “For there are many unruly and vain ___________ and ____________, specially they of the _______________; Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy ___________’s sake” (Tit. 1.10-11).
- “Now the spirit speaketh expressly, that in the _________ ________ some shall depart from the _________, giving heed to ____________ _________, and doctrines of _________; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron” (1 Ti. 4.1-2).
- “For the time will come when they will not endure ________ __________; but after their own ________ shall they heap to themselves _____________, having __________ ________; And they shall turn away their _______ from the __________, and shall be turned to ___________. Having a form of ___________, but denying the ________ thereof: from such turn away” (2 Ti. 4.3-5).
- “But there were _________ prophets also among the people, even as there shall be ________ teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable ____________, even denying ______ _______ that bought them and bring upon themselves swift ______________. And many shall follow their _____________ ways; by reason of whom the way of ________ shall be evil spoken of. And through _________________ shall they with feigned words make ________________ of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their ______________ slumbereth not…. Which have forsaken the ________ way, and are gone _________, following the way of __________ the son of Bosor, who loved _________ of unrighteousness; But was ___________ for his iniquity: the _______ _____ speaking with man’s voice forbad the __________ of the prophet. These are wells without ___________, clouds that are carried with a __________; to whom the mist of ____________ is reserved for ever. For when they speak great swelling ________ of vanity, they allure through the ________ of the flesh, through much ______________, those that were clean escaped from them who live in ________. While they promise them ___________, they themselves are the servants of __________: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought into ___________” (2 Pe. 2.1-3, 15-19. All of 2 Pe. 2 deals with false teachers.).
- “Whosoever _________________, and abideth not in the ___________ of Christ, hath not _______. He that abideth in the doctrine of _________, he hath both the __________ and the _______. If there come any unto you, and bring not this ___________, receive him not into your house, neither bid him _____ ________: For he that biddeth him _____ ________ is partaker of his _______ deeds” (2 John 9-11).
- “Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days ___________, walking after their own _________, And saying, Where is the ___________ of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the ____________ of the ___________” (2 Pe. 3.3-4).
- “For there are certain men ________ in ____________, who were before of old ordained to this ________________, __________ men, turning the ________ of our God into ________________, and denying the only _______ _____, and our ______ _______ ________” (Jude 4. Jude predicts the ___________ of the professing ___________ and describes the cause and course of the ___________. As in II Timothy and II Peter, the ___________ is treated as having already set in.).
Only a little __________ can completely change and pervert the _______ of the Gospel: “Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the ________? This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. A little ________ ___________ the whole lump” (Ga. 5.7-9).
________ teachers deny redemption ________: “[False teachers] shall bring in damnable ___________, even denying the Lord that bought them and bring upon themselves swift destruction” (2 Pe. 2.1). Others deny the ________ concerning Christ’s _________ as ______ of _____, _____ himself.
“BELOVED, believe not every _________, but try the __________ whether they are of _____: because many ________ prophets are gone out into the _________. Hereby know ye the _________ of God: Every _________ that confesseth not that _______ ________ is come in the _______ is not of _____: and this is that _______ of ______________, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. Ye are of _____, ________ ___________, and have overcome them: because __________ is he that is in you, than he that is in ______ _________. They are of the ________: therefore speak they of the ________ and the ________ heareth them” (1 Jn. 4.1-5; See also, 1 Jn. 2.18-28).
In Jude all phases of ____________ are seen. Jude mentions those who “ran after the error of __________ for reward.” Many pastors and other Christians today, like __________, revert to human _____________ and, among other unbiblical practices, put God’s church under the ________ for __________—that is, for __________, for ______________, or _________. They may not have gone completely into ___________, but heresy is the first step toward ___________.
The tone of the New Testament writers when dealing with heresy and ___________ is never one of dejection or pessimism. God & His promises are still the resource of the ____________. Although Paul as recorded in II Timothy and Peter as recorded in II Peter are aware that ______________ is near (See 2 Ti. 4.6-8, 2 Pe. 1.14, and Jn. 21.18-19), both are apparently sustained and __________: “For I am now ready to be ___________, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good _______, I have ___________ my course, I have kept the ________: Henceforth there is laid up for me a ________ of ________________, which the _______, the righteous ________, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that _______ his appearing” (2 Ti. 4.7-8). The whole book of II Timothy reflects Paul’s joyful attitude as II Peter shows Peter to be likewise joyful and sustained.
II Timothy, II Peter, Jude, and II & III John deal the personal _______ and ____________ of a true servant of Christ in a day of ___________ and _______________. For example, Paul instructs the “good soldier” in the face of ___________:
“[B]e _________ in the __________ that is in _________ ___________. And the things that thou has heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to _____________ men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure _____________, as a good _____________ of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this _______: that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a ___________…. Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my _________: … It is a faithful saying: For if we be ______ with him, we shall also ______ with him: If we _________, we shall also ________ with him: If we ______ him, he also will ______ us: If we ___________ not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot ______ himself…. _________ to shew thyself approved unto God, a ____________ that needeth not to be ____________, rightly dividing the word of _________. But shun profane and vain ____________: for they will increase unto more ______________. And their word will eat as doth a canker: … Flee also youthful _______: but follow righteousness, ________, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure _________. But foolish and unlearned ____________ avoid, knowing that they do gender __________. And the servant of the Lord must not __________; but be __________ unto all men, apt to __________, patient, In ______________ instructing those that oppose _______________; if God peradventure will give them ______________ to the acknowledging of the _________; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the __________, who are taken captive by him at his will” (2 Ti. 2.1-4, 8, 11-13, 15-17a, 22-25).
Paul instructed Timothy, a preacher whom Paul called his “dearly beloved son (2 Ti. 1.2)” and his “own son in the faith” (1 Ti. 1.2).
“Preach the ________: be instant in _________, out of _________; ___________, _________, _________ with all longsuffering and ___________. For the time will come when they will not endure sound ___________; but after their own _________ shall they heap to themselves __________________, having itching _________; And they shall turn away their _________ from the ___________, and shall be turned into ____________. But watch thou in all things, endure __________________, do the work of the evangelist, make full _________ of thy ministry” (2 Ti. 4.2-5).
“The believer’s resources in a day of general declension and _______________ are _________ (2 Ti. 1.5), the spirit (2 Ti. 1.6-7), the ___________ of God (2 Ti. 1.13; 3.1-17; 4.3-4), the ________ of Christ (2 Ti. 2.1), separation from vessels unto ____________ (2 Ti. 2.4, 20-21), the Lord’s sure __________ (2 Ti. 4.7-8), and the Lord’s ________________ and power (2 Ti. 2.13, 19).