The Church Will Be a Bride: The Expectation of the Church – Ephesians 5.25-33
(16 questions with answers following)
Click here to go to the Introductory Post (Has links to all lessons)
Click here to go to Lesson 12
Added on April 8, 2017
Answers at the end, following the questions
Those who disagree with anything please see the note at the end. Reasoned dialogue is encouraged and any Bible or fact based comments, if made in a Christian manner in an attempt to get to the truth will be considered.
These are open book quizzes. Refer to your Bible for answers.
Ephesians 5:25-33: “ 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
- Only the Christian can know what is real love in __________, because it is carried to the high plane of the relationship between ________ and the ________.
- Christ loved the ________ and gave Himself for ___ – that is in the ______.
- In the __________ He is sanctifying the church with the ________ of the ______ of God.
- The cleanser, the ________, is better than any _________ advertised on radio or television.
- In the ________, he will present it to Himself a ____________ church, without ______ or wrinkle but holy and without __________.
- A church is not an _____________ with a steeple, a pulpit, and an organ. A church is a spiritual ______ (a living ____________) made up of true believers. Ephesians 5.27 means he is washing each __________, preparing ______ _____ for the marriage of the ______.
- In Ephesians 5.28-32, Paul draws on _____ themes and goes ______ and forth, _________ and ______, ________ and his ________.
- What a couple needs for their wedding ceremony is
a. a champagne supper
b. lots of useful gifts
c. to be filled with the Holy Spirit
d. a high priced reception
- Marriage makes a wife a part of the ______ of her __________.
- It is unnatural for a man to hate his own _______, so the _________ is to love his wife because she is his own _______.
- Christ, knowing the weakness of a church, ____________ and ____________ it. __________ are to do the same.
- Verse 31 is a quotation from
a. Exodus 10.6
b. Genesis 2.24
c. Song of Solomon 4.3
d. Psalm 5.7
- Paul refers, in verse 31, back to a relationship that existed in the Garden of ______ between ______ and _____. That first couple is a figure of the future union of ________ and the ________ as ______________ and bride.
- God meant for Christians to have this relationship on a much _________ plane than the new morality and sexual freedom, which put young people in __________.
- I say to you young Christian ladies today: Don’t marry a ______ man. Don’t take anything but the ______ that _____ has to offer you.
- Ephesians 5.33 is the practical part about marriage down here. The _________ and ______ in the home are to set forth in simplicity the __________ of the coming glory. Here, Paul brings the romantic into the realm of _________.
- Only the Christian can know what is real love in marriage, because it is carried to the high plane of the relationship between Christ and the church.
- Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it – that is in the past.
- In the present He is sanctifying the church with the water of the Word of God.
- The cleanser, the Bible, is better than any cleanser advertised on radio or television.
- In the future, he will present it to Himself a glorious church, without spot or wrinkle but holy and without blemish.
- A church is not an organization with a steeple, a pulpit, and an organ. A church is a spiritual body (a living organism) made up of true believers. Ephesians 5.27 means he is washing each believer, preparing each one for the marriage of the Lamb.
- In Ephesians 5.28-32, Paul draws on two themes and goes back and forth, husband and wife, Christ and his church.
- c. to be filled with the Holy Spirit
- Marriage makes a wife a part of the body of her husband.
- It is unnatural for a man to hate his own flesh, so the husband is to love his wife because she is his own flesh.
- Christ, knowing the weakness of a church, nourishes and cherishes it. Husbands are to do the same.
- b. Genesis 2.24
- Paul refers, in verse 31, back to a relationship that existed in the Garden of Eden between Adam and Eve. That first couple is a figure of the future union of Christ and the church as bridegroom and bride.
- God meant for Christians to have this relationship on a much higher plane than the new morality and sexual freedom, which put young people in slavery.
- I say to you young Christian ladies today: Don’t marry a lost man. Don’t take anything but the best that God has to offer you.
- Ephesians 5.33 is the practical part about marriage down here. The husband and wife in the home are to set forth in simplicity the mystery of the coming glory. Here, Paul brings the romantic into the realm of reality.
Should you disagree with an answer given, please explain why you disagree in the comment section below the article. All reasoned comments will be published, perhaps with reply. The purpose of this website is the Glory of God. God cannot be glorified by shutting out honest disagreement in the search for truth. The author would be interested in your explanation. The comments are required by the website to be approved or disapproved. The author is very busy with many matters and may or may not immediately notice your comment. He will address it as soon as he notices it. He almost always approves comments presented with a godly spirit. He never alters comments. Sometimes, he replies to comments.